It is finally Fall and there are so many spiders in my house. There is a freakin' army of spiders and by army I mean that I have seen at least six huge spiders in my house. And by huge I mean a size of a dime. One spider even landed on Gavin's face. That is the last straw Mr. Spider. I need to get rid of these spiders. It is me or you Mr. Spider. These guys are not welcome in my house. After taking a look at the screens in our windows and doors I noticed some tiny spaces where the bugs could crawl through the space into the house. Now I won't even open a window for fresh air out of fear that a spider might crawl its way in. Killing spiders is not really my thing. Even though they are creepy, annoying and have a mean bite, I am sure they didn't mean to wander into my house.
Today I declared war on these spiders. These are my tips on getting rid of spiders. I found these tips on the internet and I am not sure if they work at all. Don't believe everything you read on the internet by the way. But these tips are worth a try; I am desperate here. These spiders are driving me crazy. As I was spraying my lemon water around my door frame I kinda felt like I was hanging garlic to repel vampires. LOL. I just felt silly. Here is what I have done to hopefully get rid of the spiders in my home.
- Spiders don't like the taste of lemon. I bought some lemon oil and a spray bottle. I mixed 20 drops of lemon oil in two cups of water with a little soap. Then I sprayed the heck out of my house paying close attention to spraying around windows and doors, stairs, and in corners. I felt so silly doing this, but even if it doesn't work to repel spiders, at least my house will smell lemon fresh.
- Spiders cannot escape the vacuum, I hope. Gavin vacuumed the house and vacuumed up a few spiders along the way. Gavin and I have vacuumed every nook and cranny and not leave a single floor space undisturbed. This includes vacuuming behind dressers and under the couch. Spiders like to make homes places that they will not be disturbed.
- Boxes are no longer allowed in my house. For some reason spiders love boxes. They lay their nasty little eggs in boxes too. Every box will be replaced with a plastic bin. Boxes are kinda ugly to look at anyways.
- Nothing is allowed on the floor. Keeping things off the floor will give spiders fewer places to hide.
- Clutter is not allowed. I hate looking at clutter, but sometimes I kinda let it go a little bit. Now that I am at war with the spiders I will make sure I don't let clutter build up.
- Remove any old spider webs in the house and around entrance ways. I scoured my home looking for spider webs and I found some webs in some pretty obscure places. I also made sure to clean out webs around windows and doors, including the outside.
- Lemon Pledge. I heard through the internets that spiders hate lemon pledge. Spiders taste with their legs and if they come across the taste of lemon pledge they will retreat. I polished all of the wood and leather furniture with Lemon Pledge. I also polished our granite counter tops. Finally, I used lemon pledge to clean around the windows and doors. Hopefully this will discourage spiders from crawling in through the small spaces in the screens.
- Spiders are suppose to also hate lavender. Well, I love lavender. I am going to get some lavender oil, when I find it on sale, and make a spray just like the lemon spray. Then I will spray corners of my house with lavender. Getting rid of spiders never smelled so good.
- I wonder if I can borrow the neighbors cat for a day. Cats love to eat spiders. Dogs do too.