Monday, August 29, 2011

How I lost weight and kept it off Part 2 of 2

Keeping it off is a Piece of Cake!



Keeping off the weight is easy.  I rarely think about calories.  I have a routine of healthy eating and that is just what I am use to now.  Having a healthy diet is like putting your contacts in every morning.  You do it every day, you're conscious of what you're doing, but you don't really give it much of a second thought.  It is just what you are accustomed to.


Now I will share with you my routine of healthy living.  Right now my mother-in-law is staying with us and cooking delicious and healthy food.  Lucky me!  But I will share with you what my routine is like when I don't have a gourmet cook living with me.

When I wake up in the morning my first thought is COFFEE. 


Coffee is my favorite, and my most important, meal of the day.  Then I think about my husband.  He needs to eat.  After my coffee is made, and I have had my first sip, I can function like a human being to make a fresh fruit smoothie.  Smoothies are so easy and you can make a wide variety of flavors.  My favorite is usually an apple, banana, strawberry smoothie.  Gavin likes and apple, banana, blueberry smoothie.  Everyday is a new flavor and the possibilities are endless.  Then I might either warm up a breakfast croissant for Gavin, or I might make some eggs and turkey bacon.



When I am on my own for lunch I love to have either a bagel and cream cheese or a sandwich loaded with veggies.  Sometimes I will treat myself to a $5 veggie sandwich at Subway or on a rare occasion I will take myself out to sushi for lunch.




For a snack I love cheese alone or with apples.  I will also grab a yogurt, or cottage cheese for a snack.  I know some people can't eat dairy but I can tolerate diary and I love it.   It has a lot of protein and nutrients.   If your body doesn't tolerate dairy, don't eat it.  Listen to your body. Also, at our house, we go through a lot of orange juice  and lemonade.  I love these two juices but I have acid reflux so I cant drink a lot of these kinds of juices.




For dinner, if we stay in, I make something easy.  I can't stand up for long so it is hard for me to spend a long time cooking.  I do have a kitchen stool I sit on when I am cooking and cleaning the kitchen.  My specialty is salmon with lemon dripped on top.  It is so easy to just bake in the oven.  Then I make some rice and steamed vegetables as a side.  This is my favorite meal because it is yummy and it practically cooks itself.  In the fall I love to make corn and yams.  Corn takes 1 minute to boil or you can throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes with the husk on.  This is how my grandma does it and it is my favorite.  Yams, you can wrap in tin foil and bake in the oven for an hour.  Just don't forget that they are in there.  I forget about those poor yams all the time.

I am a dessert gal.  I eat dessert almost every night.   I am addicted to chocolate.  My cupboards are always stocked with some sort of sweet snack for me to enjoy after dinner.   You can always find, cookies, candy, and ice cream at my house.  I would go crazy without these goodies. You have to have some fun in your life too.



Eating out is a huge challenge when it comes to eating healthy.  Gavin and I eat out a few times a week so it is important to make smart choices when you go to a restaurant.  It is hard to gauge how many calories are in a restaurant dish, or how much butter the restaurant used to cook something.  I order dishes that come with lots of vegetables and stay away from fried food and creamy foods like The Olive Garden.   I only eat half my meal and always take home leftovers for lunch or a snack the next day.

Stay busy.  Right now, I don't have a job, but that doesn't mean I am not a busy gal.  Everyday is packed full of activities, errands, and responsibilities so boredom never sets in.  Some people eat when they are bored, just don't let yourself get bored.

Listening to your body is important.  If you are hungry it is important to eat.  If you are craving a steak really bad, your body probably needs a steak.  Sometimes I get a craving for a milkshake and a burger.  After a week of craving a burger I go straight to a burger joint because my body is telling me it needs that.  However, if you are eating a burger everyday, that is probably too much. 

The Japanese have a saying that translate to "eat until you are 80% full".  This is a great tip.   Eating until you are 80% full means that you are eating enough so that your body has energy but you are not consuming too many calories and gaining weight.

My final weight loss secret is that I don't eat pork.   I am sure that you can still maintain a healthy weight if you do eat pork, but I am sharing with you my own personal diet.







No comments:

Post a Comment