Saturday, March 10, 2012

14 week post surgery update

14 Weeks Since My Surgery

It has been 14 weeks since my surgery and my recovery has been a roller coaster.  I am still on crutches at 14 weeks, that is 8 weeks longer than the 6 weeks I was told I would be on crutches. 

I do have good days.  I feel a numb, emptiness in my hip joint that was not there before my surgery.  I take that since my impingement is gone, I am not constantly feeling friction in my hip joint.  However, my muscles are constantly aching.  Last week I was having horrible muscle spasms in my hip that kept me up for 5 nights in a row (pain level 7 out of 10). My hip has calmed down now and is actually feeling pretty good today (pain level 3 out of 10).

I started swimming on Thursday night, after my muscle spasms calmed down.  I think swimming helps with my pain levels so I went again on Friday and will go again today. I need to get a sports swim suit though because the string bikini bathing suits I wore in Cabo three years ago are too big for me and fall off while I swim.  Luckily it seems like the other swimmers keep their eyes on their own lane.  :)

As with my last surgery I have lost some weight.  I put on weight before my surgery  because I knew I needed to eat healthy so I would have a speedy recovery.  Now with the recovery dragging on I get really anxious about the future of my hip and I don't have much of an appetite.

Right now I am just over 3 months post op.  My recovery is going slow, but I am am still hopeful.  Professional athletes usually take 6 to 9 months to return to sports after surgery so I still have some time.

I go see my surgeon in 4 days, Tuesday, and I have a lot of questions for him.  I am anxious to know what he thinks, and what he recommends.  I wonder if you will recommend another surgery, or more physical therapy.

Right now it is hard to tell and I don't know what to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment