Monday, July 9, 2012

People Are So Weird

People are Weird

Some people say the strangest things to me while I am out walking around with any sort of walking or mobility aid.  I use anything from my crutches, a cane, wheelchair, or a power cart.  On a good day I just use my own two feet.

Today I walked into Target without a walking aid and I went to use the power cart since I had a bit of shopping to do.  I do get a lot of strange looks when I drive a power cart and my crutches or cane are not visible (my cane folds up).

A Target employee approached me and he said, "Do you really need that thing?"
I said very politely, sweetly  with a nice big believable smile, "Yes I do,"  and he just kept standing their and staring at me like he wanted an explanation so I said, "I have a hip impingement."

The Target employee said, "Oh that must suck!"

I say, "Yes it does suck."

Target employee says, "Well, it could be worse."

I say, "Yeah, I know.  I always tell myself that," and I do always tell myself that.  I often think to myself it could be worse!  I could lose a hand, develop cancer, god forbid something could happen to someone I love and so on.   You have to count your blessings.

The Target employee then says with great animation and big eyes, "You could need to have a surgery!" and he walked away.


2 comments:

  1. Whenever I park in a handicapped spot, I feel like people are watching intently to make sure I have a handicap that they "approve" of. People really are weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg Denise, totally understand that. I like the way you worded it too, "approve" of

      Delete