Tuesday, June 19, 2012

7 Months Post Op

It is almost 7 months post op and I will see my surgeon in one week. My hip has been making small improvements but I am nowhere where I want to be.  It is really frustrating.  I do feel better than I did before my surgery but I have nowhere close to a normal hip.



Here are my improvements
  • I can ride stationary bike up to 60 minutes lowest setting medium speed
  • Go to the gym and do some low impact excercise
  • Improved strength and increased muscle mass
  • Good range of motion in my hip
  • Swim with little increased pain afterwards
  • Walking more without my crutches
  • On a good day I can walk around a grocery store while leaning on a cart and get most of my grocery shopping done
  • Some days pain levels can be as low as 3 without medication
  • With medication, I can have pain level 3 and be able to walk with a normal gait
  • I don't need my crutches around the house and I don't use them if I go to Starbucks or Subway as long as there is no line.

And now onto the Pain
  • Increase in pain with any standing or walking
  • My hip cannot take any sort of impact without increase pain
  • I am have 5-7 pain levels more days than not
  • I can't walk more than 10 minutes without increase in severe pain levels
  • My walk is slow and I must walk gingerly
  • My gait is usually not normal
  • I need my crutches when I leave my house to go shopping or if I will be waiting in line.
  • Some days I am in so much pain I don't want to get out of bed (like today)
  • Still have week hip flexor muscle and week thigh muscle
  • I can't go for long walks, go to carnivals, travel without my crutches and severe increase of pain.
Overall I am making small improvements.  I am grateful that I can ride a stationary bike and go swimming for exercise but I am really upset that I am still in so much pain and can't lead a normal life. I feel like there are so many things I can't do and that I am missing out on.

My surgeon said if I am not feeling better after 7 months we will need to start thinking about what to do next. I am anxious to see my surgeon.

Emotionally I definitely have ups and downs as well.  Some days I feel like crying but don't have the energy to do so.

On another note, I am thinking about starting a diet such as an anti-inflammatory diet and taking dietary supplements to see if it will help with inflammation and make me feel better.  Diets are sooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard though.  I will keep you updated and let me know if you have had any success with diets.

No comments:

Post a Comment