Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Whats wrong with my hip. I'm so hippy.

Alright a lot of people are  confused about what is going on with my hip bc I am too young to have a hip problem.  I will try to explain it the best I can.  To start off, before my Sept 13th 2010 surgery I had 4 things wrong with my hip.

1) labral tear.  A piece of tissue that lines the hip socket was torn and the torn part was catching in my hip socket. OUch


2) tight iliopsoas muscle (hip flexor) also known as snapping hip syndrome.  My muscle was super tight and would rub on my hip joint and was not in the correct position


On sept 13th i had surgery to correct these two problems.  I had a labral debridement and a iliopsoas release.  The Dr. cut away the torn labrum and stitched it up.  There is little to no blood supply to the labrum so it rarely heals on its own.  The Dr.  also cut my hip flexor muscle to make it longer.

But I have 2 more things that are wrong with my hip that actually caused problem #1 and problem #2

3) Hip dysplasia.  This is very common in dogs.  I was born with hip dysplasia but it didnt cause pain until i had my growth spurt around 13 years of age.  Hip dysplasia means the hip sockets are shaped wrong and cant properly support the hips.



4) Femoral Acetabular Impingement (FAI).  My hip socket hits the head of my femur, bone on bone.  This problem has gotten more painful as my cartilage wears down. 







oh and i also have

5) Osteoarthritis, or breaking down of the cartilage caused by wear and inflammation.  But there is nothing the surgeon can do to fix this.

No comments:

Post a Comment